Subject: [IP] Re: Paradigm Power Failure > I like the Paradim pump - when i

We are now on our second Paradigm, and again, have had the "surprise"
shutdown of the pump.  The first time, we figured that our son was playing
around when he changed his battery, causing the pump to erase everything.
This happened at school, which meant tracking me down at work, to tell my son
step by step how to reprogram the pump.  The second time, we knew he had not
had the battery out more than 2 seconds, and it blanked out everything.  We
called Minimed, they Fedex'd a replacement pump to us.  When I called them,
the tech said, "E21, that is a cold shutdown, need to replace it
immediately."  No other information given regarding any danger, etc., to my
son.  The new pump came the next day, we programmed, and assumed we would
have no other troubles.  A week ago, the replacement pump blanked out, again,
the battery was being changed because it said "no power."  No alarms went
off, and the battery was only a couple weeks old.  We have never had so much
trouble with Jake's pumps before.  He doesn't use the backlight or the
remote, so his battery lasts a long time, USUALLY.  This time, the school
nurse had to track me down again, and I had to really think hard as we had
just changed his basals for the track season, and I had not gotten them
memorized.  His basals were written down at home in his book, which doesn't
accompany him to school.  I wrote to minimed via email, asking just what was
going on with these pumps, and wanting info regarding what this was doing to
Jake.  I was told they had no clue what the tech referring to a "cold
shutdown" meant.  They assured me that Jake was at no danger, but I still
wonder, if the pump is malfunctioning, does it do it instantaneously?  Or
does it do it over a period of time, which makes me think it would cause some
troubles for my son.  I am frustrated, and I am not willing to go on and on
with numerous replacement pumps and no feedback or information about what is
going wrong.  If we have another "cold shutdown" not only will minimed hear
from me immediately (last time was 11:45 pm), I will have to go shopping!

Judy Brooks, Mom to Jake (14) pumping since 8/2000