[IP] RE: diabetes temporary?

There are other conditions which can have with the same symptoms as
diabetes.  A coworker of mine recently told me how her baby had, over
the course of weeks, become increasingly listless and cranky, wouldn't
eat, but drank like a fish (with the ballooning diapers to go with it),
and seemed to be breathing more heavily than usual.  Sure sounded like
our daughter as she was going into DKA !  I took the coworker to my
day-care, picked up my daughter's meter, went to her day-care to check
her son's blood and it was 94.  Over the course of the next week, she
saw four doctors and her son's sugar was at times up in the 200's
(maybe even 300's?), and at times there were moderate ketones in his
urine, and on two occasions when he had the high blood glucose, the
doctor gave him insulin, it not only brought down his blood sugar and
ketones but also brought back his appetite,  and at the same time he
perked up, became cheerful, and quit drinking like a fish.  Again, sure
sounded like diabetes to me!

HOWEVER, for reasons that are not clear to me (I'm not a doctor and I
didn't do the workup), three of the docs put their heads together and
decided that what this child had was hypothyroidism - he wasn't making
enough thyroid hormone, and this was mimicking the symptoms of
diabetes.   The baby has been on Synthroid (artificial thyroid hormone)
for two weeks now, and all of his diabetes-like symptoms have
disappeared.   So - in this case, the "diabetes" was temporary, but it
wasn't really diabetes to start with.  (We hope.)

Now, on the other hand, it may just be that your neighbor really is
diabetic and has misunderstood her diagnosis, or that she is just
hoping the doctors are wrong.  A LOT of people (not doctors) have told
me that maybe my daughter will grow out of her diabetes, and a LOT more
are quite shocked when I tell them that no, she will need to wear her
insulin pump her whole life (until they come up with something better).
  So there are a lot of people who think that diabetes can be temporary.
  In the case of type 2's with mild diabetes, if they are able to
control it with diet and exercise this may seem like a cure, which may
be where the idea comes from.  And, as someone had mentioned, pregnant
women can be temporarily diabetic.   But most of us are in this for the
long haul.

- Maria
mom to Sigrid, dx'd @ 11 mos., pumping @ 17 mos. (now 18 mos.)