Re: [IP] new pumper

 I am using the Quick-set with the 9mm cannula. I was told that if i could pinch
more than 1 inch of skin on my stomach that i needed the 9mm instead of the 6mm,
but maybe not if u r saying i shoudl use a shorter one. Yes, it was very scary
for me to have it happen twice in one day. I had a very weird itchy sensation
and then I saw blood slowly fill u the catheter and then i changed the site and
had a gusher as you called it. I changed the location of the site and it happen
once again....about 12 hours later.April

 George <email @ redacted> wrote:Insulin Pumpers is made possible by your
tax deductible contributions.

> I just started on the Paradigm pump about 1 week ago. Yesterday I
>had to change
>my site twice because blood became visible at the site. Is this normal? When I
>pulled the set out the whole catheter part was filled with blood and the site
>was very sore. Can anybody tell me what could cause this to happen or if there
>are ways to prevent it? I have read about the catheter "crimping" but it was
>still perfectly staright when I pulled it out. Any suggestions or comments?
>April (21 years old)dx 10-92pumping since 4-21-03

You didn't mention what type of set? If a QuickSet, use a shorter
cannula, if a Silhouette, go in at a shallower angle (some find a 15
degree angle suitable, certainly not more that 30 degree unless you
have a very thick dermal layer.) "Gushers" happen, look in the IP
Archives for the "horror" stories. It can be disconcerting removing
a set and having a large volume of blood flow out, but it is actually
a bit rare. I've had an average of one a year for the past 5.

Dx '64, "reborn" 8/13/98

Do you Yahoo!?