Re: [IP] new pumper

>  I just started on the Paradigm pump about 1 week ago. Yesterday I
>had to change
>my site twice because blood became visible at the site. Is this normal? When I
>pulled the set out the whole catheter part was filled with blood and the site
>was very sore. Can anybody tell me what could cause this to happen or if there
>are ways to prevent it? I have read about the catheter "crimping" but it was
>still perfectly staright when I pulled it out. Any suggestions or comments?
>April (21 years old)dx 10-92pumping since 4-21-03

You didn't mention what type of set?  If a QuickSet, use a shorter
cannula, if a Silhouette, go in at a shallower angle (some find a 15
degree angle suitable, certainly not more that 30 degree unless you
have a very thick dermal layer.)  "Gushers" happen, look in the IP
Archives for the "horror" stories.  It can be disconcerting removing
a set and having a large volume of blood flow out, but it is actually
a bit rare.  I've had an average of one a year for the past 5.

Dx '64, "reborn" 8/13/98