OKay,  here we go:

According to Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary,  brittle
means:    Diabetes that is difficult to control, characterized by unexplained
oscillaation between hypoglycemia and acidosis.

According to MOSBY's Medical Dictionary:
Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus tends to be unstable and
brittle, with the patients quite sensitive to insulin and physical
activity and liable to develop ketoacidosis.   Previously called
brittle diabetes, juvenile diabetes, juvenile-onset diabetes, JOD,
juvenile-onset-type diabetes, ketosis-prone diabetes.

I'm too tired to go down to the family room and pick up another
medical dictionary....................or drive to my hubby's office
where they publish medical books (MOSBY Medical Publishing).

Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary (newly 13,  Dx 2/93, 508 2/02,
Paradigm  8/16/02,  and now ANIMAS IR1000  3/18/03 ) --------and MaMa to
Jennifer (20), Allison (17), Rachel (newly 7)
Fenton, MO