[IP] RE: Abbreviations /FINALLY

I disagree on use if the term "brittle", and I don't think its an insult but
an accurate description for some people.  I have been pumping less than a
year, and have had to change my basal rates 5 times (both up and down) as well
as modify my insulin to carb ratios a number of times, with different ones for
different times of day, etc. in order to "control" this condition.  These will
inevitably change again, which is just part of living with Type 1 diabetes (I
can't speak on behalf of Type 2 because I have no experience with it).

Personally, I am less offended by use of the term "brittle" than I am by use
of term "control" when trying to manage an incredibly complex condition with
the relative crude tools that are available today.  Using a term like
"control" implies that we have an absolute ability to manage blood glucose
levels, which we simply do not have with the tools available today.  The
modalities of current treatment, such as periodic blood testing instead of
continuous monitoring, the inability to measure the presence of other hormones
in the body which impact insulin's ability to function properly, the
variability in subcutaneous infusion, and not having functioning
counter-regulatory functions to deal with a blunted epinephrin secretion
(thus, hypoglycemic unawareness) when blood glucose levels fall too low all
limit one's ability to truly "control" diabetes.  Don't get me wrong, its
better today than it was when I was diagnosed in the 1970s.  Those days were
even worse, with food exchanges, urine testing which gave readings (of
Negative, 1+, 2+, 3+ and 4+) many hours after the fact.

However, "brittle" is a term that has as many definitions relative to diabetes
as there are people who use it.  Merriam-Webster defines it as follows:

Brittle, Function: adjective.  1a : easily broken, cracked, or snapped
<brittle clay> <brittle glass> b : easily disrupted, overthrown, or damaged :
FRAIL <a brittle friendship>

My opinion is that the ability to truly control diabetes with the tools
available to patients today could be described as brittle, but I hope people
don't take great offense to the use of this or any other term.  After all, it
is only an adjective.

Dx'd Type 1 9/1976 at age 7 (now age 33), pumping with Animas R1000 since