Re: RE[IP] Abbreviations /FINALLY

Yo!  Jan!:--

         That's a little "Philadelphian".

         I received a copy of an e-mail that you sent to "Ms. Tasha"
concerning your question about brittle diabetes.

        I am a brittle diabetic, and, before I went on the pump, I couldn't
keep my sugars under control for the life of me!  And, as you know, it is for
the life of me!

        A brittle diabetic is one who's sugars fluctuate, rapidly and wildly,
up or down, but usually upward, without having any apparent cause.

        Even now, while using the pump, I can suffer from this, although very,
very rarely, and it is avoidable.

        My daytime base rate is .5 units per hour; however, if for some reason
I do not get insulin (let's say, the infusion set becomes loose, the sight
becomes non-receptive, a new soft-set was not inserted properly, or whatever)
for only two hours (I missed 1.0 units), my sugar, usually very consistent
with pump use and previously normal, will jump to 225 - 250 without fail!
Fortunately, this does not happen often.  When I note the problem and change
soft sets, I can get my sugars back to normal, within an hour or two, but it
will usually take 8 - 10 units of insulin, all because I missed one unit.
This is without eating or any external stimulant to cause any of this.

P.S.:  I can hear the "Philadelphian" in your voice and your attitude!  What a
nice thing from the past.

P.P.S.;  I you are able to eat what you want and still keep your sugar under
control, then welcome to the club!  When you can do that, you have taken
"pumping" to a new height, where it more resemble your pancreas than anything
else.  Congratulations!