Re: [IP] Re: who should be doing the work

 I was 10 years old when i was diagnosed (20 now) and I was not allowed to leave
the hospital until i did my own injections for 2 whole days. I was in the
hospital for almost 2 weeks mainly for the reason I was scared to death to do my
own injections. Once I got home my parents did them for me for almost 1 year
until I decided to start doing them.

 Kristen Olgren <email @ redacted> wrote:Insulin Pumpers is made
possible by your tax deductible contributions.

> When I was diagnosed at age 8, 40 years ago, I was not allowed to leave
> hospital until I learned to fix my syringes and give my own shots. Mom
> not allowed to do it for me. Yes, she had to learn but I had to do it!
> I boiled those glass syringes by myself--with Mom supervising me at the
> stove, of course.
> So, the question is, are doctors more lax in their young patients learning
> care for themselves or were we, as children--back then--tougher than
> kids?

I have a suspicion as to why things changed in that respect. I would
imagine that, for some kids, it took several days to work up the courage to
do the shot themselves -- and with good reason. But somehow, over the time
since you were trained forty years ago, fees that hospitals charge grew out
of proportion with what is reasonable. Insurance companies are not going to
pay whatever the bill is, say (I'm guessing) minimum $500 per day, likely
much more, for a child to work up the nerve to stick a needle in themselves.

I don't know. I don't even know what things were like when I was a kid.
Beginning three years before my diagnosis, I started getting allergy shots
once a week. Just a few short weeks or months after my diagnosis, I was
tested again, and my allergies showed NO improvement from the weekly
injections. But those injections served a valuable purpose.

I watched the nurse inject air into the bottle, withdraw the clear liquid
into the syringe, and I watched her jab my arm. I learned not to fear it.
While it did sting, it was only slightly. Then came the time for me to
learn to take multiple injections every day, only this time, I was supposed
to do it myself. I watched the nurse go through the same procedure the
nurses in the doctor's office had done for years, only this time, she
explained what she was doing and why.

The time came for my second injection, and I was asked, "You want to try?"
I was the talk of that hospital that day when, to their surprise, I took
them up on it and did my second shot. One of the nurses (or maybe a
chaplain?) told me she had been on a different floor when I had done it, and
word reached her there that I had given myself my SECOND shot!! I didn't
understand the big deal. It wasn't hard, and compared to those allergy
shots, it didn't even hurt.

I can remember a couple of occasions when I wanted to put my site in a hard
to reach spot, or for some other odd reason, I asked my mother to do it for
me. She HATED doing it and never did get used to it, because I almost
always did it. My guess is she has done no more than maybe five injections
in my life.

I was nearly fourteen years old at diagnosis, however. Somehow, I expect
that even back when they kept you in the hospital until you took your own
shot, there is probably an age limit to that kind of thing. Who in their
right mind would give that responsibility to a three year old? And some are
diagnosed much, much younger than that.

I'm not honestly sure I would do it to my son who is nearly five, were he
diagnosed with diabetes tomorrow, since the syringes have marks, not
numbers on all increments. I'd be afraid he would draw up the wrong dose.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990

Do you Yahoo!?