[IP] Re: Sugar and More Sugar

At 06:09 PM 4/24/03, "Laura Shapiro" <email @ redacted> wrote:
>Me too!  I'm really a little tired of people saying we cant do this or that,
>and half the time it's Diabetics doing the talking!
>I have noticed my last two Educators have actually had the attitude that we
>need to live like we have a pump, and quit worrying about every little thing.
>But with living that way comes responsibility--use common sense because you
>are still dealing with diabetes.
>I frankly may have to leave some other web sites (not this one!) because I
>cant handle people who believe everything they read or hear.  We have to do
>our homework, and check things out for ourselves using our brain and then we
>should be able to decide what we can do or wont do (YMMV).
>I guess it comes with being a Type I for 32 years, but I don't take anyone's
>word for anything anymore.
>And if I want real chocolate, it's better for me than that fake stuff!

I was told by my CDE and nutritionist that with the pump, I could eat
whatever I liked as long as I counted it and bolused for it.  Granted some
foods are more difficult, but it's more because of the fat in them rather
than the sugar.  Anyone, diabetes or not, should eat a balanced diet.  Even
a slice of bread ends up as glucose in your system. Before the pump, I
pretty much ate what I desired, I just allowed for it in the diet I was
following at the time.  My A1c was not over 6.0 even then.  So, for me,
sugar has nothing to do with anything relating to control.

I also prefer the "real" thing, not only chocolate but butters and all
foods.  Now so many margarines, which we have been told were much better
for us than butter, have come under fire due to the trans fat issue.  If I
read the ingredients label and I haven't a clue about or can't even
pronounce the ingredient, it's a flag for me to stay away from it.  ;o)  YMMV.

dxd 1963, pumping 2000