Re: [IP] Site changes

In a message dated 4/24/03 4:49:33 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< One
question I have about site change is this--what do you do when it's been 3
days since a site change and your reservoir still has a significant amount
of insulin in it?  From all I've learned thus far, it seems most people
change everything (infusion, tubing, and reservoir) out every 2 to 3 days.
I have been changing my infusion set every 3 days, but it seems my reservoir
will last 4 days or so.  If I changed the reservoir out every 3 days as
well, I would end up throwing away a lot of insulin.  Any ideas or
suggestions? >>

I also use the Paradigm and I personally change my site about every 5 or 6
days.  Since I use about 65-70 units a day, my reservoir runs out and has to
be refilled long before I change my site.  I would say that if your site
isn't bothering you just wait until your reservoir is empty before changing
you site.  Or, if you really wanted to change your site after 3 days, you
could just fill the reservoir up with the amount of insulin you use in those
3 days, or, if you do fill it up all the way, you can just save the blue part
of the reservoir and the plunger and just push the leftover insulin back into
the bottle.  Hope this helps.

  Diagnosed 8-13-93 (age 11)
  Pumping since 7-18-02 with my blue Paradigm "Lancelot"