From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of gail d
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 3:47 PM
To: ip list
Subject: Re: [IP] Who should be doing the work?

Chris Saunders said:
>Disclaimer: I have no children. I have only ever
>taken care of my own diabetes.

I was Dx'd at 11 y/o.  My parents dropped me off at
the hospital (literally - I got out of the car in the
parking lot and they drove off.  I checked myself in
at the Admissions desk).  My parents showed up the
next day and a couple of times during the week I was
in the hospital.  It was and still is COMPLETELY up to
me. NO ONE has EVER given me an insulin injection
since Day #2 (that would be 2/16/72).

Now, I'm NOT endorsing the way my parents handled it
wayyyyy back then, but giving the kid responsibility
for the things they CAN do is what makes us
responsible diabetics.  (Yeah, yeah, some of you
AREN'T diabetic - just insulin-challenged. So, shoot
me.) LOL.

OTH, as long as the child (children in the case of
Lisa) know how to change their own sites and can do it
by themselves in a stressful/emergency situation when
mom or dad aren't around, then who cares if their
parent does it some of the time?

-gail in denver

Do you Yahoo!?