[IP] RE: A1c-weight loss

It's easy now for me to figure out why I lost weight when I started
pumping. On MDI I used a long acting basal insulin. With my pump, I
(obviously) don't.  With MDI I had the option of taking a high enough dose
of basal insulin  to cover the times when I needed a lot of basal. This
meant I had to eat a LOT to avoid lows during the times I needed minimal
basal coverage. The alternative was to take a smaller amount of long-acting
insulin  and run very high when I needed more basal. (rates vary from 0.1
to 0.8/hr)
Of course I never figured this out til I started pumping. I was able to
stop eating a LOT of extra calories just to cover my long acting basal
insulin when I started pumping. I ate the same diet (minus the huge extra
snacks) and lost 35 pounds in 6 or 8 months with no effort at all. I've
kept this weight off  even though I now eat as much candy and other junk as
I want. My A1c is the best it's ever been (was usually in the low 7s with
MDI and in the mid 5s since starting to pump) without wide swings in
bgs,  and I've stayed at my ideal weight for a year and a half.