From: gail d [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 1:24 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Fastest site change

Barbara who is claire's mom said about changing sites:
>wash their hands, locate all their supplies, fill the
>cartridge with insulin, prime the tubing, allow the
>IV prep to dry, unwrap the new set and put in into
>the insertion device,  insert the new set, prime the
>catheter, remove the old site (allowing time for the
>Remove or Uni-Solve to work, if you use them),  test
>their blood glucose, and then dispose of all the bits
>of paper and old materials in one minute.

I couldn't do all that in one minute - but then I
don't do ALL those steps either.  lessee - here's what
I manage to do to change my site:

Set my pump to retract.  Grab the already filled
insulin reservoir out of the fridge.  Attach the new
tubing to it.  Drop the new res into the pump & hit
prime. Rip out my existing set while I grab the new
one with the other hand.  Open it.  Wipe some IV Prep
on my stomach.  Fan it with my hand for about a 1/2 a
second, plop the new one in (NOT WITH AN INSERTER -

Why would I want to wash my hands?  I do it after I
get out of the shower.  My hands are clean already.

Why do I have to "search" for my supplies?  They are
all in one dresser in my bedroom.  I am NOT an
organized person, but I have ALL my diabetes stuff
where I (& Robert) can find it RIGHT NOW.

Why would I bother to look for the bits of paper?  As
I opened stuff and ripped stuff out, I'm standing
right over the trash can.

My SITE changes take me about 10 seconds.  Wipe my
tummy with stuff. Open the package.  Put it in.  Done.

-gail in denver

Do you Yahoo!?