[IP] Eye Exams (was) Re: Trying to figure out insurance

[IP] Trying to figure out insurance
"Kristen Olgren" <email @ redacted>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:32:07 -0500
>I'm trying to figure out whether or not my annual eye exams looking for
>complications are covered.
>The new policy says, "Refractive eye examinations are limited to 1 every 2
>calendar years.
The keyword "Refractive" means the Optometrist's exam
by which to specify eyeglasses or contact lenses at the
optician's bench.
Most Opthalmologists, the M.D. who may prescribe/inject
drugs, and some be surgeons... (incl. laser on retinopathy)
usually "also" do that exam unless you "ask" them not to
"because I've already done that at so&so's office recently"
Refractive exam is basically independent of the eyeball's
internal exam which the Optometrist "may" do "some" of, and
by which he "should" suggest you see the Opthalmologist
for the retinal exam et.al.
Sounds like you are already engaged in the latter process.
The insurance company expects and provides for limiting the
frequency of the "glasses exam" for "ordinary people"'s cases,
but is not addressing any limit on the specifically
diabetic eyes' "internal" examinations.

David C. Winegarden
dx dm mid-1950's, pumping insulin since Jan1993