Re: [IP] Re: School Help Needed ASAP!!! Compromised Immune

We have found high school to be much less involved than middle school -
which may be a good thing in your case. I had to push them to get
someone to be trained in glucagon. Jenny (9th grade) has extra supplies
stored in the nurse's office and we went in at the beginning of the
school year so she could meet the nurse. Otherwise, Jenny's 504 gives
her permission to check glucose, bolus or eat snacks as needed and she
has had no other contact with the nurse.

The nurse was a little obsessive about have a sliding scale in the
office for corrections and was offended when I said "It's not that
simple.  You have to take into account unused insulin, hormones,
exercise and recent snacks." Finally, I convinced her that Jenny can
handle it on her own

Strangely, in a school of nearly 2000, Jenny is the only known kid with
diabetes. I'm sure that is not true. Either other families are not
providing very good care, or they don't want to hassle with the health

The district nurse, however, was wonderful about training Jenny's
teachers, coaches and the security guards to recognize the signs of
hypos and what to do.

Good luck. I hope your high school is in a different district so you can
start over fresh.