[IP] Trying to figure out insurance

I've mentioned before that my insurance is changing June 1.  I'm trying to
figure out whether or not my annual eye exams looking for complications are

The new policy says, "Refractive eye examinations are limited to 1 every 2
calendar years.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to figure out what on
earth a refractive eye exam is as opposed to a regular eye exam.  Does this
mean I'd better get in a big hurry and try to schedule one before the
insurance change, or will this be some different kind of exam?

It seems strange to me that insurance would be able to limit exams if the
doctor says they are necessary more often.  I know I've been to the eye doctor
on occasion even more often than once a year.  I was examined twice during my
last pregnancy, and twice during the first, and that time I was seen six weeks
after his birth, as well.  I'm hoping insurance isn't going to throw fits
about that, but I'm not sure.  I have occasionally been asked to come back
nine months later instead of waiting a year, even under normal circumstances.

If anybody is more knowledgeable than I am, and I expect surely someone is,
please enlighten me.  Do diabetes related eye exams fall into the category of
a refractive eye exam, or not?

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990