[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #228

>>Actually Shingles IS contagious, especially if any of the sores are weeping.
As a home health worker I was taking care of a man with shingles and had to
wear gloves and use sterile procedures and then wash my hands thoroughly
afterwards.  Also had to wear a disposable gown and wrap that and throw that
out after I was done.  So in my position I would say, when in doubt be VERY
careful.  IF the sores are all dried up and NOT weeping then they are not
considered contagious.<<

"Contact with a person with shingles may cause chickenpox (but not
shingles) in someone who has never had chickenpox before."  Quoted
from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke:

You probably had to wear gloves as a preventative measure due to
being exposed to open wounds.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99