[IP] U500 now approved for sale in US

Hi all,

Those of you who consume massive quantities of insulin might be
interested to know that on Friday (April 18, 2003), the Food and Drug
Administration approved the following for sale in the US:

Humulin R (human insulin [rDNA origin] injection) U-500, Eli Lilly and

There is a notation on the FDA website where I found this, suggesting
that it is available only by prescription.  This FDA website lists all
drug approvals since 1998: http://www.fda.gov/cder/approval/index.htm

Until Friday, I believe that all insulin sold in the US was of U100
strength - meaning all insulins were at the same concentration of 100
units per cc (a.k.a. 100 units per mL).    This one is five times more
concentrated.  Unfortunately, it's "regular" and therefore a
longer-acting insulin than optimal for pump use (and I don't know
whether it has been approved for pump use anyway), but if you are
burning through so much insulin that you have to change your pump
cartridges more than once a day, you might talk to your endo about it.

Caveat here: the fact that the FDA has approved this for sale only
means that Lilly can now legally sell this drug; it doesn't necessarily
mean that Lilly has already shipped it to your pharmacist.   Lilly
hasn't put this on their website yet, so I take that to mean that
they're not terribly excited about this product......

  - who dilutes Sigrid's insulin to U25 (but at least we *can* do
something about the concentration in this direction; I really feel for
y'all at the other end of the spectrum).