[IP] Re: Eye Dr.'s--Differing Opinions

On Monday, April 21, 2003, Laura Shapiro" <email @ redacted> wrote:

>  The former doctor did laser twice on my left eye (no more
> than 200 blasts) to seal off some leaks.  He said I do not show signs
> of
> Proliferative retinopathy.
> The new doctor (and these visits are only three months apart) says I
> have
> Proliferative retinopathy in the other eye and need 1500
> blasts--scatter laser
> done.
Yes, it certainly can happen in 3 months time.  It was a lot less than
that for me back in 1982.  If you were being scheduled at 3 month
intervals, actually, I would imagine that they were seeing enough
background retinopathy to be worried that it was going to happen.  But
if you are doubtful of the new doctor's diagnose, can you get a second
opinion from the old doctor?  (Or, if you can't see him because he is
retired, from someone he recommends?)  Even HMOs will sometimes pay for
this before surgery, particularly if you press.

Sorry you are having to go through this, and best wishes.

Linda Z