[IP] RE: Hard To Believe

Actually, these findings are not at all surprising.  Speaking personally, I
was the second sibling in my family to develop Type 1 (I was diagnosed at age
7, my older sister was diagnosed at age 4).  Prior to my sister and I, there
was absolute no (known) family history of Type 1 diabetes.

Joslin's website has some interesting statistics on this subject.  For the
complete article, please see the following link:

Type 1 and 2 diabetes are different diseases and have very different incidence
patterns. The general population's risk of developing type 1 diabetes is 1 in
100 before age 70, and one-third develop it before age 20.  Clustering of
diabetes in families is more easily recognizable for type 2 than type 1.

About 85% of newly diagnosed cases of type 1 have no family history of the

Caucasians have a higher risk of type 1 diabetes than any other race. Whether
this is due to differences in environment or genes is unclear. Even among
caucasians, a majority of people who are susceptible never develop diabetes.

Among Caucasians, diabetes risk varies geographically. In general, the risk is
higher in Northern Europeans than Southern Europeans. While climate may
contribute to this, the fact that Sardinia in the Mediterranean also has a
high risk goes against this theory. In recent decades, there has been an
increase in type 1 in the United States and Europe. While Asians generally
have a much lower incidence of type 1 diabetes, Japan is also experiencing an
increasing incidence.

Here's a sampling of what Dr. Warram, a Lecturer in Epidemiology at Harvard
School of Public Health, said is known about who is at risk for developing
type 1 diabetes:

* If an immediate relative (parent, brother, sister, son or daughter) has type
1 diabetes, one's risk of developing type 1 is 10 to 20 times the risk of the
general population; your risk can go from 1 in 100 to roughly 1 in 10 or
possibly higher, depending on which family member has the diabetes and when
they developed it.

* If one child in a family has type 1, their siblings have about a 1 in 10
risk of developing it by age 50.

* The risk for a child of a parent with type 1 diabetes is lower if it is the
mother, rather than the father, who has diabetes. "If the father has it, the
risk is about 1 in 10 (10%) that his child will develop type 1, the same as
the risk to a sibling of an affected child," Dr. Warram says. On the other
hand, if the mother has type 1 and is age 25 or younger when the child is
born, the risk is reduced to 1 in 25 (4%) and if the mother is over age 25,
the risk drops to 1 in 100 -- virtually the same as the average American.

* If one of the parents developed type 1 before age 11, their child's risk of
developing type 1 diabetes is somewhat higher than these figures and lower if
the parent was diagnosed after their 11th birthday.

Dx'd T1 9/1976 at age 7, pumping with Animas R1000 since 6/2002