[IP] Eye Dr.'s--Differing Opinions

Help!  I had to start with a new Ophthalmologist after using the same doctor
for many years.  The former doctor did laser twice on my left eye (no more
than 200 blasts) to seal off some leaks.  He said I do not show signs of
Proliferative retinopathy.
The new doctor (and these visits are only three months apart) says I have
Proliferative retinopathy in the other eye and need 1500 blasts--scatter laser
Can this happen in three months time?  He was totally unconcerned about the
other eye, and said the minor laser had taken care of the problem.  But my
"good" eye, which has never bled severely is the one he says has new growths
on it.
How can I have two entirely different opinions from these guys? does anyone
know how fast those vessels even grow?
I frankly trust my former doctor much much more because he has done very
successful surgery on other family members, including my type I sister.