Re: [IP] Re: School Help Needed ASAP!!! Compromised Immune

> MiniMed was very helpful in offering to
> help convince our insurance company that their pump didn't work for
> Zach and that we should get approved for insurance companies
> non-preffered pump.

I have to say, I'm really impressed that of all the people who COULD have
helped with that, MM is the LAST that I would have expected.  It reminds me
a little of the Minimed Customer Service I had long known and come to
expect.  (I'd imagine that with all the multiple failures, their customer
service doesn't impress you, that much, though.)

> She likes to hang over his shoulder when he
> is testing to make sure what his number is.    She knows when the school
> wants him to leave the building for highs,  plus when they will allow him
> to make a correction bolus  (lunch time only).

It sounds like you are really between a rock and a hard place.  The public
school will not allow Zach's diabetes care to be what it NEEDS to be to have
good control, especially with him at the age when hormones are likely to
interfere with insulin requirements, making them change frequently.  What
business is it of THEIRS how often he boluses?  If he needs a correction at
10 am or 2 pm, he should get it!

But with his learning disabilities -- having taught in private schools, I
know that many of them have little to offer someone like that.  I'd be
willing to bet that most any private school you tried would be much more
flexible regarding his diabetes care than the public school is, but if he
isn't actually learning there, what is the point?

I question the legality of what they are doing to him and to you.  I thought
the whole idea of public school education was that they would educate
EVERYONE who came to them for an education.  And as a diabetic, he has
rights to receive proper care while there.

I really doubt that I'm thinking of something you haven't already considered
before, but have you tried contacting the ADA?  The school is meddling with
something they have absolutely no business meddling with.  It just
infuriates me to read about those ridiculous requirements.  No correction
boluses except at lunch, BUT if his number isn't what they are comfortable
with, he must go home.  No MDI.  And clearly no opportunity for Zach to do
something scandalous -- take a bolus without them knowing it, with a teacher
breathing down his neck to see what his numbers are.

I feel for you, I really do.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990