Take Lantus advice with a grain of salt.  If your basal rates fluctuate
widely during the day, especially at night, then Lantus may not work
very well at all for some diabetics.

My experiences with Lantus weren't great because of the amount of insulin
I require for basal needs during the first 3-4 hours of sleep.  I have about
6 basal rates during a 24 hour period that range from .95 u/hr during the
day to to 2.0 u/hr at night.   Lantus isn't capable of being this flexible and
if I took enough of it to take care of my nighttime basal needs, I'd run low
all day.  I know, I tried it before going on the pump.

This of course needs to be said, and I hate the fact that I have to do it
to keep from getting jumped on, but... YMMV.