[IP] Re: School Help Needed ASAP!!! Compromised Immune System

<< Wearing my mom hat:  Why in the world won't the school let him attend
while he is on injections? Is this a public school? This is in violation
of so many  laws. Have you dealt with the administration? Have you gone
to the school board? A school has a lot to lose financially if they
discriminate against Zachary because of his illness. Do you have a 504 in
place? Have you contacted the ADA? They will provide  you with an
attorney if there is reason to believe there is discrimination. >>

Well,  by choice,  since Lantus had quit working well the winter before
which caused him to go on the pump,  we didn't want to reintroduce a
long term insulin when he was going through pump failures.    We
instead opted to do injections every 2-3 hours round the clock till the
replacement pumps came.

We had a working formula to use to determine the size of the injections,
but the school didn't agree to allow him to attend on so many injections.
He used to attend there last year pre-pump.      We kept getting the
Endo to complete a school form saying what to do in the event of pump
failure ---- the formulas, etc.   We later found out the reason they wouldn't
allow him was because we had revoked their right to contact our physician
as they were over-abusing the right including scheduling meetings without me,

This is a public school,    he has some learning disabilities so he us under
an IEP.    We have a health care plan corporated into the IEP.    (Although
at an IEP meeting last month the nurses had retyped his healthcare plan
according to their desires ---  and wanted to implement it without any

<<  Now, my teacher hat, instead of my mom hat....   When Zachary is absent
are you getting work from the teachers so he doesn't fall behind? >>

He receives one hour of homebound education per day at home after school.

We held the recent IEP meeting in an attempt to get this time increased
to two hours.     The director of the program however, was the one who made
the phone call during the meeting to his doctor from the hallway and asked
him loaded questions regarding his immune system.

<<  Relative to the school nurses: What kind of training have they had?
Would someone from your endo's office meet with them so they don't freak
out over blood sugars? If the school is willing, check into PADRE Foundation
which is connected to Orange County Children's Hospital in California.
They have an awesome training program for school medical staff. I pushed
until our high school district sent a nurse from each school to one of
their trainings.  >>

These nurses have had someone on the pump (MM508)  for the past 6
years.    They were originally at first students pump training.     They were
the ones two years ago in the spring who came to our elementary and
INSISTED we HAD TO put him on the pump before he came to their school
since that would resolve all his problems with swinging numbers.    They
were also the first nurses to label him as "Brittle".

Our Diabetes team did come to one meeting this year to help resolve
all the conflicts this nursing team caused last year when he finally
went on the pump ---- they had kept him out for months after getting it.
They kept throwing up new roadblockas since they were upset that he'd
been having seizures at dawm from rapidly dropping blood sugars.

<<  Back to my mom hat: I know D affects each person differently but don't
assume that the problems are due to a weakened immune system because of
D.  <snip> I think I would push for your medical team to figure out what is
going on
with his  health. >>

Zach is one of four children.     Two of them are so healthy they fall off
computers at the drug store from lack of prescriptions.     One has a lot of
the same problems Zach does.      He also has four cousins up the street
and two of those four catch every flu bug or strep bug that comes there way,
while the other two could slow dance with a bug and not get sick.

Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary (newly 13,  Dx 2/93, 508 2/02,
Paradigm  8/16/02,  and now ANIMAS IR1000  3/18/03 ) --------and MaMa to
Jennifer (20), Allison (17), Rachel (newly 7)
Fenton, MO