Re: [IP] back to the Emla Cream

In a message dated 4/18/2003 2:20:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> For the parents that have children with D, or those who use Emla themselves,
> a) Was Emla used from the start with infusion sites without first knowing
> if
>   it hurt too much?
>     OR
> b) Was it determined that infusion insertion was too painful,
>   then Emla was started?

Our doc & CDE recommended giving our daughter (age 10 at pump start and who
had/has needle anxiety) the choice of whether she wanted to use EMLA for set
insertions  (previously she had used them only for blood draws).  Katie
elected to use it -- for her first two insertions, after that she just didn't
want to bother with it.  I think it helped that both her Dad and I had done
saline trials with the pump and had done a couple insertions each with no
EMLA and both telling her that it basically felt the same as an injection.
Except in rare instances the insertions really aren't painful, but her team
felt strongly that it was more important for her to put her energy into
learning about pumping and focusing on the process of doing set changes than
in worrying whether it was going to hurt . . . that made sense to me and I
always like it when we can give Katie control/choices about her diabetes care
and management . . .

Pumpmama to Katie (12) happily pumping with her ANimas pump "Elvis" since