[IP] Re: Glucose Monitoring Contact Lens

> Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:37:14 -0400
> From: RoseLea <email @ redacted>
> Subject: re:[IP] Glucose Monitoring Contact Lens
> At 11:01 AM 4/18/03, you wrote:
> >I hope this isn't the last word on this. Try to be more positive about
> >ideas. What's better, 5-10 finger sticks a day, or, Visine and
> >continuous blood Glucose monitoring? The sensor works in tears. Try to
> >where else it might work. Try to become the "them" you mentioned above.
> >this forum to work towards the cure. We have more at stake than the
> >University of Pittsburgh. The contact lens companies see this as a way to
> >make money. I see this as a way for all diabetics, except those with
> >dry eyes, to improve their lives and live more like normal people. The
> >majority will probably benefit, but, if only one person is helped by
> >isn't that enough?
> >
> >Tim
> First, I am only speaking for ME not everyone else.  My first comment
> said:  "Yes, but only for people who can tolerate wearing contact
> lenses."  IMHO, the contact lens bg monitor would only benefit "some
> with diabetes" and not all.  I am only speaking from MY experience with
> contact lenses and *I* would not welcome them as a good source for bg
> monitoring.  If that was the only way they came up with for bg monitoring,
> say for a closed loop system, *I* would be out of luck then.  I would only
> hope that they also continued working on other types of bg monitoring and
> not only contact lenses.  And, I am positive about new ideas, I do not
> to agree with ALL of them.  I said that contact lens bg monitors would
> benefit people who could tolerate wearing contact lenses.  I see that as a
> fact.  Have you ever worn contact lenses?  I hear about people having
> problems with being connected to a pump 24 hours a day... how about
> sticking a piece of plastic in your eye and leaving it there 24 hours a
> RoseLea

Why not step through each of these proposals and point out why it won't work
for you!

FY02 TMM Research Projects

Metabolic Rate Monitoring and Energy Expenditure Prediction Using a Novel
Actigraphy Method
Principal Investigator, Daniel S. Moran

Portable Physical Activity Monitors for Measuring Energy Metabolism in ROTC
Principal Investigator, Kong Y. Chen

Skin Bioengineering: Non-invasive, Transdermal Monitoring
Principal Investigator, Richard H. Guy

Fluorescent Polymer Implant for Continuous Glucose Monitoring and Feedback
Principal Investigator, Ralph Ballerstadt

Towards Miniaturized, Wireless-Integrated, and Implantable Glucose Sensors
Principal Investigator, Diane J. Burgess

Implantable Multi-Sensor Array for Metabolic Monitoring
Principal Investigator, David A. Gough

Improved Metabolic Monitoring and Hyperspectral Methods for Wound
Characterization (proposal)
Principal Investigator, Stuart Harshbarger

Evaluation and Refinement of a System and a Method for the Use of
Hyperspectral Imaging for Metabolic Monitoring
Principal Investigator, James Mansfield

Non-Invasive Monitoring of Insulin-like Growth Factor-I During Differential
Physical Training Programs in Warfighters
Principal Investigator, Bradley Nindl

A Minimally-Invasive Dual-Analyte Miniaturized Continuous Sensor for Glucose
and Lactate
Principal Investigator, W. Kenneth Ward

A Hydrogel-Based, Implantable, Micromachined Transponder for Wireless
Glucose Measurement
Principal Investigator, Babak Ziaie