[IP] re:IP] pumping malfunction - too much insulin

<<<<<<<<From: Rick and Helen <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] pumping malfunction - too much insulin

I ran into this article that describes a pump malfunction causing an
"overdosing" of insulin for a Boston Red Sox coach during a game.  This
is one of the nightmarish fears I have about wearing the pump. I can
psychologically handle a disruption in infusion but getting too much is
scary.  Has anyone else heard of or experienced such malfunctions?  I
would think the machines have triple backup fail-safe systems for

"Red Sox manager Grady Little said Cubbage wears a pump on his belt that
is supposed to regulate his blood sugar, but it apparently

Sorry, I don't know if you are Rick or Helen, but Hi,
I read the article and I think the writer doesn't understand pumps, they
can't keep you from going low or give you glucose if you are.  The
article doesn't say specifically that the pump gave him too much
insulin.   I know it is possible for a pump to malfunction and give you
too much but that is rare.  There are fail-safe systems in the pump.  It
is possible that he was running his normal basals and had had too much
exercise and his blood sugar dropped.  I know if I even go shopping I
have to lower my basals.  I hope there will be another article that will
give more info.
Like i said I know that it is possible but I also know these pumps are
reliable and safe or they wouldn't be FDA approved.  I, personally, do
not worry daily about possible overdoses of insulin.

pumping with the dtron plus 4-5-03

pumping since 08-00