[IP] pumping malfunction - too much insulin

I ran into this article that describes a pump malfunction causing an
"overdosing" of insulin for a Boston Red Sox coach during a game.  This
is one of the nightmarish fears I have about wearing the pump. I can
psychologically handle a disruption in infusion but getting too much is
scary.  Has anyone else heard of or experienced such malfunctions?  I
would think the machines have triple backup fail-safe systems for this.