[IP] Re: Alpha Lipoic Acid & HbA1c

I read the following excerpt from Dr. Bernstein's website regarding an
article on ALA in Diabetes Interview:

"As an adjunct to the article in the January 2000 issue of Diabetes
Interview relating to alpha lipoic acid, I suggest you do an additional
literature search on this subject as there are other important properties of
alpha lipoic acid that were not mentioned.
For example, it inhibits glycosylation of proteins and therefore can reduce
the incidence of many long-term diabetic complications. It also increases
insulin sensitivity, even in slim, type 1 diabetics who are not insulin
resistant. It should also be pointed out that while large doses are
necessary to achieve many of the effects, the water-soluble version is
effective in much lower doses. Inhibiting glycosylation of proteins usually
reduces levels of HbA1c in people who take this product and means they can
no longer use HbA1c results as an indication of average blood sugar."

So my question is, if this is true and you take ALA, how do you then measure
your average blood sugar?  How much does it skew the results?  If anyone
knows the answer to this it would be greatly appreciated.