Re: [IP] Re: Pump Start

At 11:59 PM 4/15/03 -0400, Wendy wrote:
 >Mostly I was wondering if anyone else began the pump with only a basal rate
 >and no bolus's. My poor friend....he feels so sick all the time and is
 >blaming himself because he does not 'get' it.

I have never heard of such a thing.  It certainly makes no sense to me.  I
suppose you could try to emulate the action of a twice a day mixed dose of
NPH and Regular using a pump (one of the regimens in use before people
started to bolus for meals on MDI) but I have no clue why you'd want to try
it.  The whole point of a pump is that you can handle your baseline (basal)
and mealtime (bolus) insulin needs independently of one another.

Why don't you get your friend a copy of John Walsh's "Pumping
Insulin."  That book contains a lot of great, up-to-date information on how
to use an insulin pump.  I think it's in the fifth edition, but could
easily be wrong about that.