Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:53:33 -0400
From: "Wendy Anderson" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Pump start

I haven't posted in awhile but......I just have a quick question. Is it
common for a doctor to start someone on a pump with a basal rate only
tell them not to bolus??? I have been a pumper for years and when I
I began to bolus right away, but I have been helping a friend who
pumping last winter. He has had so many troubles, I feel so sorry for
He is riding a roller coaster of highs and lows. Just today the Dr.
told him
to cut his basal rate to 1.2 an hour across the 24 hours and see if that
helps!?? I have tried to explain it to him that no matter what his basal
rate is set at if he doesn't bolus with food he will climb sky high, and
that is exactly what is happening, then what he does is take a syringe
about 20units of humalog to bring his sugar down and sure enough within
short amount of time he crashes too low, and has to eat something and
sky high. OF COURSE!!!! The poor guy thinks that it is something that
HE is
doing wrong. To make matters even worse, today the Dr. told him to come
in 3 months to see how he's doing! 3 Months??? I am very worried about

Thanks for ANY advice...........

Wendy Anderson