Re: [IP] Re: Why wait (so long) to pump ?

> > My doctor described the kind of patient who could handle pump therapy as
> one
> > who was responsible about their diabetes and willing to test frequently.
> Yeah - 4x a day, then reduce the # after *settling in*. Thanks to the 'net
> have learned to shuck that practice!

I have to wonder, though, Jan, if that were just your doctor.  When I was
diagnosed in '85, My endo, the one strongly pro-pump, required me (and I
believe, all his patients) to test four times daily on MDI.  I think he
would have been happy with four times a day, yes, but I don't think he would
have discouraged at all more frequent testing.  I don't believe he EVER
would have suggested cutting back after some "routine" were established,
given that he never gave ME that kind of freedom, and the need to check
frequently was emphasized for pump therapy.

He also sent me home from the hospital with a sliding scale to adjust my
insulin when high or low.  It wasn't long at all before I quit reducing the
dose for lows.  I inevitably ended up with a rebounding high if I did that.
But I used the sliding scale for highs for years, until I finally learned
about the 1500 rule for regular insulin.  The testing was for the purpose of
being proactive about it.  And they encouraged us to do what we could to
keep our A1c's in good range.

When I read you talking about your old endo, I truly believe the man should
be locked away in solitary confinement and never again see the light of day.
My guess is that he is/will be responsible for a number of diabetics going
to an early grave.  He got behind the times approximately the day after he
started you on the pump.

It just goes to show that bad doctors don't just come in the form that
started this thread, with the failure to inform about pumps.  There are
other bad ones, too.

Which reminds me.  I remember my father, who traveled frequently on
business, becoming friends with the daughter of a coworker who was also type
1 diabetic.  She lived on the east coast.  She described her treatment and
how she felt, and daddy knew immediately that her diabetes was not well
cared for.  He knew better than some of the things her endo was telling her.

He urged her to find a new endo.  The second was of a slightly different
variety, but still offering them mostly misinformation and bad
recommendations.  If I remember right, her third was lousy, too.  We
wondered how we had been so lucky, to have two excellent endos in the middle
of the country (Kansas City, MO), while this girl lived in the east coast
with all the cutting edge stuff they have to offer, and not a decent endo to
be found anywhere.  Hopefully, the dearth of good endos in the east has been
remedied since then.

I occasionally wonder what happened to that patient, who was dealing with
kidney complications and proliferative retinopathy last we knew.  She had
wanted a child, but was told that was out of the question.  I wonder what
happened to her, and at the same time am thankful that I don't know.  I fear
it wasn't good.

I consider myself very blessed.  While it didn't take long for me to come to
believe that my present endo is easily the best I've ever had, I haven't had
a bad one yet.  I believe I've always had the best diabetes care available
for the time in which it was given.  Many here cannot say the same,

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990