Re: [IP] False expectations about pumping???? How long does it take?

> SO could some one please share the truth
> and reality of how long it really takes to get things in control with a
> pump.  I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if my educators are
> just not all that helpful or are acting to slow to help me get all my!
> basals and such straight. or what.  I just would appreciate anyone
> letting me know what to really expect and how long to expect it to take
> in reality.

I don't want to discourage you, but I don't really think you will EVER be
completely done adjusting your rates and everything.  Especially as a woman.
You don't mention your age, but I almost think that age doesn't matter.
Hormones can work a number on insulin needs, so it is an ever changing
process.  I've experienced it with pregnancy, lactation, and normal.  Some
women fluctuate with their insulin needs at different times of the month.
I've heard of women going through menopause experiencing the same kind of
changing in insulin needs and requirements.

That's not to say that you won't soon get things pretty well "in control."
But what I AM saying is that just because they do become "in control"
doesn't mean it will stay that way.  Fine tuning will be an ongoing process.

Good luck at getting it all figured out.  I certainly hope I haven't
discouraged you; what I have described would be true on MDI as well, most
certainly.  With the pump, you can adjust things precisely for what they
need to be, better than you ever can on MDI.  But the roller coaster of
changing needs and fine tuning may well never stop.  The cause of that isn't
the pump not being what it is cracked up to be.  The cause of that is the
diabetes, itself.

Somewhere, I hear another "I hate diabetes" thread beginning about now . . .

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990