[IP] Re: Why wait (so long) to pump ?

> From my understanding, there was a big push for pumping in the 80's.

Since pumps were new in the late '70s and early '80s, it was something that
a lot of people wanted in on. There were about 10,000 worldwide when I
started in '83.

>  Then there was a lull, and
> the push began again sometime in the 90's, a few years maybe after I
> started, and seems to have only continued in full force since then.

Too many people had problems with *runaway* deliveries and that kinda
curtailed the push. Pumps were redesigned.

>  Jan talks about hers first as the size of a cigarette case.

No, no, no! My first one was the size of a checkbook box or a Beta video
tape. I used that for 6 weeks cuz the new *small* king-sized cigarette pack
one was coming out. I tolerated the big one for the little one. There was a
difference in them as I programmed #2 for a supplemental basal the same way
I did for #1 and received my total daily dose by 11:00 a.m.!!!! That was a
scary day. The tech was on the phone with me and got the Sheriff's #, doc's
#, neighbor's #, and dtr's # at work. I tested about every 15-20 minutes and
we saw my BG declining. I called dtr to let her know I was going to
neighbor's and I may not make it across the street. She came home instead,
however, ignored me the whole time. :-(

> Somehow, the one I recall on this pregnant woman that I saw
> seemed enormous.  I don't know if it was just a quite different model, or
> my perception was somehow skewed by my little scrawniness.)

Prolly both,. ;-)  One lady's pump had a red flashing light on it to
indicate it was functioning. She was surrounded by authorities cuz they
thought she was wired for a bomb!

> My doctor described the kind of patient who could handle pump therapy as
> who was responsible about their diabetes and willing to test frequently.

Yeah - 4x a day, then reduce the # after *settling in*. Thanks to the 'net I
have learned to shuck that practice!

> Why do some doctors NOT mention it to their patients?

They should, and if not they should refer the patient to someone who works
with pumps.

Dialyzing since 7/8/02
picture of the World's Youngest Pumper)

Rules are rules, except for the exceptions.