[IP] Alpha-Lipoic Acid Helpful in Diabetic Neuropathy

My Mom sent this to me. Thought I would pass it on to the group.

Adriana
dxd age 7 1988 pumping 1992

> Alpha-Lipoic Acid Helpful in Diabetic Neuropathy
>
> Laurie Barclay, MD
>
> Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) rapidly and significantly reduces sensory symptoms
> and pain of diabetic neuropathy, according to the results of a double-blind
> trial reported in the March issue of Diabetes Care.
> "[ALA], a potent antioxidant, prevents or improves nerve conduction
> attributes, endoneurial blood flow, and nerve Na+ K+ ATPase activity in
> experimental diabetes and in humans and may improve positive neuropathic
> sensory symptoms," write Alexander S. Ametov, MD, from the Russian Medical
> Academy for Advanced Studies in Moscow, and colleagues from the SYDNEY
> Trial.
> In this parallel-group study, 120 metabolically stable diabetic patients
> with symptomatic (stage 2) diabetic sensorimotor polyneuropathy were
> randomized to receive intravenous infusions of 600 mg ALA or placebo for
> five days per week for 14 treatments.
> After 14 treatments, the mean Total Symptom Score improved from baseline by
> 5.7 points in the ALA group and by 1.8 points in the placebo group (P <
> .001). The ALA group also fared significantly better than the placebo group
> in terms of improvement on each item of the Total Symptom Score
> (lancinating and burning pain, asleep numbness and prickling), neuropathy
> impairment score, one attribute of nerve conduction, and global assessment
> of efficacy.
> "Intravenous racemic ALA, a potent antioxidant, rapidly and to a
> significant and meaningful degree, improved such positive neuropathic
> sensory symptoms as pain and several other neuropathic end points. This
> improvement of symptoms was attributed to improved nerve pathophysiology,
> not to increased nerve fiber degeneration," the authors write. "Because of
> its safety profile and its effect on positive neuropathic sensory symptoms
> and other neuropathic end points, this drug appears to be a useful
> ancillary treatment for the symptoms of diabetic polyneuropathy."
> ASTA Medica, Inc., supported this study and has financial arrangements with
> some of its authors.
> Diabetes Care. 2003;26:770-776
> Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD
> Related Links
>
> Conference Articles<A HREF="http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/438361">New
Developments in the Treatment of Neuropathy</A>

> Resource Centers<A
HREF="http://www.medscape.com/pages/editorial/resourcecenters/public/microvas
cular/rc-microvascular.ov">Microvascular Complications of Diabetes</A>
> <A
HREF="http://www.medscape.com/pages/editorial/resourcecenters/public/painmgmt
/rc-painmgmt.ov">Pain Management</A>

HREF="mailto:email @ redacted">email @ redacted</A>.