Re: [IP] Routine maintenance on Insulin Pumps

> > I am a scientist who work with instruments in a biochemistry lab. Each
> > instrument has an annual Preventative Maintenance Inspection by a
> > person who replaces or cleans parts and ensures that the instrument is
>  > "good health". I calibrate my instruments regularly as well to ensure
> the
> > results I get is correct.
> > 1) Does Insulin Pumps have PMI's as well?
> >
> > 2)How often?
> >
>  > 3) How do you know it is delivering the volume of insulin you tell it
> That
> > is does it get calibrated?

It doesn't seem as though anyone has (at least as I am reading this -- sorry
if I am repeating someone who has posted since) answered your question
regarding the two models you specifically asked about -- the Paradigm and
the Cozmo.  Given that I don't presently own either one, I can't give you a
lot of specifics, but the short answer is that, if you want your pump to be
routinely checked and maintenanced as a part of your agreement with them,
then you are going to have to choose one of the Disetronic pumps.  It is
most certainly reasonable to expect this; for other types of medical
equipment used in hospitals, I believe it IS done routinely.  But when it
comes to insulin pumps, the only ones going in for a technical inspection
without you specifically reporting that it is messing up is Disetronic.
Their pumps are a two pump system, so you don't get a loaner.  You use one
while they service the other.  And it only happens every 30 months or so.

I can't tell you if there are specific tests that you can run at home on
either the Paradigm or the Cozmo, but I can tell you that on both of the MM
pumps I have used, such a test CAN be performed.  (I have used the MM 504,
and presently still use my MM507.)  I can take out my reservoir, move the
lead screw to just the right spot, and set the pump for a 7.2 unit bolus.
If it revolves completely one time in 7.2 units, then I know it is
delivering correctly.  (If I am a little off in the description, it is
because it has been a while since I've done this test, but I have done it

My guess is that with the Paradigm, given that it comes from the same
manufacturer as the two models I have, probably has some sort of a test like
that that can be done.  Common sense would suggest the same would be true
for any other pump, including the Cozmo, but I can't tell you for certain
whether or not that is true.  I would suggest calling those manufacturers
directly and asking about that.

I have never routinely performed this sort of test on my pumps, but I have
done them both when there was some concern about whether or not they were
functioning well.

Your concerns do make a lot of sense, but the only thing I know for sure to
tell you is that insulin pumps are generally very reliable pieces of
equipment.  Another good indication of how well it is performing is your own
condition on an ongoing basis.  Most of the time, if you are high or low, it
is caused by one of any of a whole host of reasons not pump related.  But if
it is an ongoing problem, the pump itself could certainly be a factor, and
if the other reasons typically blamed for highs or lows have been
eliminated, then the pump will need to be checked, too.

Some tests can probably be done while talking to technical support.  Others
may require it to be sent in and serviced.  If your pump is under warranty,
this can be done without *too* much trouble.  They will either ask you to
stop using it (or not, depending on the problem) and overnight you a new
pump.  Unless this happens on a Saturday night, you should have a loaner
within twenty four hours.  Depending on the arrangement with the company,
you would either keep the "loaner," which assumes your old warranty, or have
your old one repaired and returned to you.

The best thing I can tell you about this is that in the 12.5 years I have
been on an insulin pump, I have never had one fail me to the point that I
had to resort to a back up plan.  What has happened for me is by no means
guaranteed to happen to you, of course.  There are people here that that HAS
happened to, some of them more than once.  But the vast majority of pumps
have served their users well.

I hope these concerns aren't enough to keep you from pumping.  They are
certainly reason to be vigilant in checking your sugars and assessing your
condition, but they are not reason enough, at least in the opinion of most
of us here, not to use them.  The benefits far outweigh the risks.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990