Re: [IP] Why wait (so long) to pump ?

> Kristen , pumping for 13 years
> then Me...... 45 years, before pumping...<snip>
> Im not implying, that it is for everyone, but, id (I'd... got that... me)
> think, it would be something, that everyone, should, at least be aware of.

I must say that I've been very fortunate.

>From my understanding, there was a big push for pumping in the 80's.  It was
going strong when I was diagnosed, I believe.  Then there was a lull, and
the push began again sometime in the 90's, a few years maybe after I
started, and seems to have only continued in full force since then.

I saw my first insulin pump when I was in the hospital after diagnosis.  (I
was nearly fourteen at the time.)  My first endo was VERY pro pump, and I
was told about them then.  I didn't see it up close or anything, but I did
hear about it and saw a woman on the same floor who had one walking the hall
from time to time.  Her pump was in a case and looked like one of those BIG
camera BAGS.  You saw her pump coming and then her.  (I'm being facetious,
but you get the point.  Jan talks about hers first as the size of a
cigarette case.  Somehow, the one I recall on this pregnant woman that I saw
seemed enormous.  I don't know if it was just a quite different model, or if
my perception was somehow skewed by my little scrawniness.)

My doctor described the kind of patient who could handle pump therapy as one
who was responsible about their diabetes and willing to test frequently.  I
was meticulous then and had a strong desire to please.  (Somewhere along the
way I became quite laid back, and now I couldn't log to save my soul.)

About a year after diagnosis, Dr. Hellmann asked if I'd like to go on the
pump.  I said I felt like I'd just gotten used to MDI's.  I didn't want to
start over with something new again so soon.  So I never really considered
it, though I knew about it from day one.

Fast forward to the summer of 1990.  My second endo was sort of a supporter
of MDI's, and referred to my Ultralente regimen as "the poor man's pump."  H
e didn't think the pump was superior to my UL 5 shot a day plan, but it was
equal to it.  The CDE in his office, a pumper herself, was a little more
strongly in favor of its use.  And I knew it was small, because I had never
even seen hers.

I was frustrated with what I considered mediocre results of careful diabetes
care.  She asked if I'd ever considered the pump.  That was when I started
considering it.  And the rest is history.

Why do some doctors NOT mention it to their patients?

You got me.  I can't imagine a doctor so irresponsible.

I remember looking for my third, and called a few offices and remember being
told that one endo "is not a big fan of pumps.  He thinks there are better
ways to treat diabetes."  I KNEW he wasn't for ME!!  I have often shook my
head at such a thought ever since.

And my fourth endo, the one I am still with, is the best doctor I've ever
had.  Her only flaw is that the CDEs she works with and the other pump endo
in the practice all think the only pump manufacturer worth thinking twice
about is MM.  Hence, my rants over the past several weeks!

Doctors should absolutely mention the pump to their patients, especially
those who are willing to put in the effort to test regularly using MDI.  If
they don't, they are being irresponsible.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990