Re: [IP] Dr. Atkins

Dextrose is the exact same thing as glucose.

Your cells do indeed utilize protein and fat.  Dr. Atkins is most likely
receiving what we call NUTRITION SUPPORT (nutrition by means other than us
actually eating it with our own mouth) at this point by either a tube feeding
or parenteral nutrition (IV).  A tube feeding will supply nutrients in the
same form that we eat them and the 'tube' is in the stomach or the first part
of the small intestine (although it will taste NOTHING like what we eat). If
being fed parenterally, he is indeed receiving pure AMINO ACIDS, FATTY ACIDS,
and of course, dextrose.  When delivered in this fashion, they are first
passed to the liver and then transformed into the forms that our bodies will

The body needs 6 classes of nutrients . . . not just carbohydrates - -
carbohydrates, protein, fat, water, minerals, and vitamins.  And it UTILIZES
all six classes.

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD, CNSD
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Certified Nutrition Support Dietitian