[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #209

>>Jan wrote:  But, if the body is used to only the proteins and fats
>>and very little
carbs, and the IV is pure carbs, and some people have said they cannot
tolerate very many carbs, how would a body in a critical condition tolerate
pure carbs, and only carbs? They wouldn't be doing IV protein/fat - which
the body is used to. I would think there would be some kind of *reaction* or
intolerance or something to that effect. JMHO<<

I really don't know what you mean by "tolerate" very many carbs.  I
can't speak for other people, but maybe they are referring to the
effect of high carb eating and weight gain, higher blood sugars, and
lower energy levels, etc.  That has nothing to do with a "medical
reaction."  And as Gail pointed out, the Atkins' diet isn't
"no-carb," it's "low-carb."  The induction phase (two weeks) keeps
your total daily carb intake at 20 grams, after which you add 5 grams
per week while still losing weight.  Of course, if your goal isn't to
lose weight, then you can skip the induction phase of the diet.  Dr.
Atkins was eating around 60 grams of carbs per day the last time I
saw him on Larry King Live about 3 months ago.  I encourage you to
read Atkins book "Atkins for Life."  It will clear up any additional
questions you may have about a low-carb eating lifestyle.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99