[IP] Re: question about kidneys

> From: "Ashley" <email @ redacted>
> I went to the dr and had a complete blood panel done and it showed my
> were fine.  Then I did a 24 hr urine and it showed protein spilling.  So I
> put on Diovan (which I loved but advance PCS said I could save a lot of
> if I went on cozaar).  So now I am on cozaar.  Has anyone had experiences
> both?

I have used Cozaar (an ARB - not an ACE Inhibitor) for about 6-7 years. It
should be good for you.

> Does anyone have any advice or a website I can read that tells me what I
> do to take better care of my kidneys...what to avoid, what not to avoid?

Keep your blood pressure at the recommended level. Ask your doctor about
this one. I was recommended below 130/80. And, keep your BGs at a controlled
level. However, there are NO guarantees with this disease. :-(

> I know doctors can't tell you much because of legal reasons about the
> prognosis, but does this mean I will eventually die of kidney failure and
> to be on dialysis one day?

Actually, that would be reversed - kidney failure first, then dialysis,
followed by death. ;-)  Sorry, but I have to have a bit of humor now and
then. ;-) All the people who ate carrots 200 years ago are now dead, too.
People have said to me when they hear I'm on dialysis that it's too bad they
don't come up with something. I say, "They did. It's called dialysis."

> Can I reverse this condition with better control (my a1c is a 6.6, but if
I go
> down to 5.5)?

Again, there are NO guarantees in this disease, nor in this life. You can do
your best, but it's the luck of the gene pool, too. :-((

Dialyzing since 7/8/02
picture of the World's Youngest Pumper)

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard. ~ Steven