[IP] Re: Docs not mentioning pumps

> Len,  Even though I often have to ask myself, "What IS he talking about?"

Especially, tiring are the, over-excessive, use of commas. The mental
exhaustion, with all the, pauses . . . . welllll 'nuf said. ;-)

> . . . How can they send it in the mail?  Who is going to put
> it inside the boy?  (Maybe a Do It Yourself Manual is included, with
> step-by-step instructions for Making the Incision, Connecting to Arteries,
etc.) lol
> Why hadn't I heard about this before?  I didn't get it.  I still don't get

When I got my first pump in '83 a friend came to the hosp. to see me (there
5 days). After chatting she asked to see my scars. I surprised her when I
told her I had none. <s>

> Some of the pumpers on this list knew about the pump 10 or 15 years ago.

The member on this list who has pumped the longest will have his 25th
anniversary next month. Sixteen members have pumped over 20 years; I'll have
my 20th anniv in August.

> Why, with the scores of doctors I've seen over the past 30+ years, did I
> to learn about the pump over the back fence, search for a CDE who knew
> something about it and find a doctor who would authorize the tests and
> write me a  *letter of medical necessity* so I could get the pump?

The same question in a different vein for me is, why, since my doc was a
pumping pioneer, did he not keep up with the advances of pumping and I
didn't know such words as basal testing, correction boluses, carb counting,
etc? I think it was Yerachmiel who said his doc thought the pump was a cure
and had burnout when he found out it wasn't. That possibly happened with my
doc. Maybe some of these docs are waiting for a cure and don't want to be
bothered with the intense involvement of pumps. My endo figured he'd trained
us as semi docs (anyone have a sick truck I can heal?) and he didn't need to
be involved with us. WRONG!!!  He left it up to me to know what to do when I
was over 600 BG. BTW, he got fired from Physicians Network 10/01. I got on
the 'net 4/99 and learned at least 17 things about pumping I had never been
taught. Therefore, I too ask WHY???

> So, what's going on here with the medical professionals?

See the above. (~_^)

Dialyzing since 7/8/02
picture of the World's Youngest Pumper)

Mark Twain: I'm mentally exhausted. I spent all morning putting a comma in,
and all afternoon taking it out.