Re: [IP] Dr. Atkins

>how would a body in a critical condition tolerate
> pure carbs, and only carbs?

Dextrose is a form of (or maybe IS) glucose.  Glucose
is the stuff in your bloodstream that feeds your cells
(the reason you need insulin is to open the cell to
allow the glucose molecule in to feed your cell).

Carbohydrate and protein are digested in your body
INTO glucose.  Your cells do not utilize carbohydrate
or protein - they utilize glucose.

The fact that poor Dr. Atkins is now receiving D5 in
an IV means that his body is receiving nourishment in
it's pure form for the body.  Has NOTHING to do with
carbo or protein or fat.

FWIW - the way I understand Dr. Atkin's diet is that
you only spend the INITIAL two weeks on all protein
and fat.  Following that, you introduce carbos back
into your diet.  He is a proponent of a "balanced"
diet but with less carbo that what we in the DM
community typically consider balanced.  (I, for one
DM-er, eat next to NO protein unless I'm hiking (or
climbing I suppose) and *sometimes* cycling for an
extended length of time.  I DO NOT eat protein before
a tennis match - it's easier for me to manage my BGs
with 100% carbo diet.)

-gail in denver
Dx'd T1 02/14/72 @ age 11.  Pumping since 1985-ish.  I
have an ISP that connects to google.com and I USE it.

Do you Yahoo!?