[IP] Re: Dr. Atkins

>>Jan Hughey wrote:  I am sorry for his condition. Please, I'm not
>>being facetious here, but I
wonder for anyone on a low-carb diet and in a situation like this and cannot
eat so IV is administered with dextrose which is pure carb, how does the
body react to this treatment?<<

Hi Jan,

I'm not sure I understand your question or concern.  If you're asking
from a medical standpoint, a low-carb diet makes no difference in his
response to being fed dextrose intravenously.  A low-carb diet is
rich in the same foods everyone should eat...lean protein, cheese,
nuts and seeds, low starch vegetables and fruits, and whole grains
(you know, the way Americans ate 100 years ago). : ) Most people eat
from those same food groups but also add in high carb/high fat/high
starch/processed foods.  So, there is nothing in a low-carb diet that
would be detrimental to his treatment.  His overall health of having
low blood pressure, low cholesterol, healthy heart, etc., stemming
from his low-carb way of life, would be a plus.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99