Re: [IP] Something Wrong Here

At 09:43 AM 4/13/03, "Terese Berryman" <email @ redacted> wrote:
>Some of the pumpers on this list knew about the pump 10 or 15 years ago.
>Why, with the scores of doctors I've seen over the past 30+ years, did I have
>to learn about the pump over the back fence, search for a CDE who knew
>something about it and find a doctor who would authorize the tests and
>write me a  *letter of medical necessity* so I could get the pump?
>I knew I wanted it and it has been an amazing transformation in my quality
>of life.  I'm a happier, healthier, more liberated person with the pump.
>So, what's going on here with the medical professionals?
>Lee at Mt. Shasta  -  dxd Type 1 1971  -  Paradigm pumping since 4/02

Some medical professionals are old school and not quite convinced that the
pump is the best way to go.  Not all people with diabetes would agree that
the pump is the best way to go if it was discussed with them.  That said,
my endo is a bit "old school".  He also believed, due to my A1c tests, that
I was doing very good and when I first brought up the pump to him, he
didn't think that I needed it.  I did have to convince him (with graphs of
my wildly swinging bgs) that I really needed something different than
MDI.  I've been pumping for nearly 3 years now and my endo's office has
become more pump friendly and positive.  In the early days of insulin
pumps, not many people, myself included, would have wanted all the hassle
of being on a pump.  They were large, the infusion sets were somewhat
"primitive" and were nothing like they are today.  Why didn't I go on one
sooner?  I did check into pumps a few years ago myself, got some
information from MiniMed (I think the 506 was their "newest" pump at the
time) and I was turned off by the infusion sets, since at that time, they
were needles and I have metal allergies and didn't want to have a needle
inserted into my body all the time.  I also was hesitant about being hooked
to something 24 hours each day.  I have a friend who went on the old Lily
pump (I believe that's what she told me it was).  She described to me the
way she had to hook up to the pump, the way she had to tape up the infusion
set and what she had to do just to take a shower while connected to the
pump (which had no easy disconnect).  For me, that whole situation would
have been impossible.  She also didn't stay on it for real long
either.  So, I think that as pumping has become more "user friendly" more
endos are becoming more pump positive.  Btw, when I first discussed pumping
with my endo, he told me of all the patients they had put on pumps who
became discouraged with them and quit wearing them.  So, in his experience
at the time, pumping had more of a negative outcome than
positive.  Thankfully that is all changing now.

dxd 1963, pumping 2000