[IP] question about kidneys

I went to the dr and had a complete blood panel done and it showed my kidneys
were fine.  Then I did a 24 hr urine and it showed protein spilling.  So I was
put on Diovan (which I loved but advance PCS said I could save a lot of money
if I went on cozaar).  So now I am on cozaar.  Has anyone had experiences with
Does anyone have any advice or a website I can read that tells me what I can
do to take better care of my kidneys...what to avoid, what not to avoid?
I know doctors can't tell you much because of legal reasons about the
prognosis, but does this mean I will eventually die of kidney failure and have
to be on dialysis one day?
Can I reverse this condition with better control (my a1c is a 6.6, but if I go
down to 5.5)?
I know I am asking a lot of questions today!  But I have been away from the
list for so long and I have some real concerns.