Re: [IP] RE: I'm not going to waste energy on hating Diabetes

> >> But I will dammed if I "accept" it, nor will I accept being called
> "diabetic"

I am missing something here.  I'm not trying to be critical at all, just
trying to understand.  I'm thinking that either we accept our diabetic
condition, or we "reject" it.  That rejection, I can only assume, would
involve denial.  Refusal to deal with the disease, or only "deal" with it
when forced to.  (Skipping injections, not checking sugars, etc.)

My presumption would be that any patient like that would not have a
physician willing to take the tremendous risk of putting a person like that
on an insulin pump.  So my assumption is that the person who wrote the above
is not in denial, refusing to deal with his disease.

I'm not trying to be dense or critical, just trying to understand.  Is there
another option I'm forgetting?  Can we accept it, deny that we have it, or
is there another option somehow in between the two?  Perhaps "acceptance" to
the person who made the statement means something other than what I am

I am also sorry if the use of the term "diabetic" is offensive.  I've
frankly never understood the objection.  It is, in my perspective, merely a
shorthand method of saying, "a person with diabetes."  I have often told
people "I'm diabetic," without feeling as though that statement defined the
person that I am.  Diabetes is only a part of me, but it IS a part of who I
am.  I believe it helped shape my character.  Diabetes was the first "bad"
thing that happened to me personally, so dealing with and overcoming it
helped me learn how to deal with difficulties in life.  If anything,
learning those lessons before becoming an adult was *good* for me.

But I guess that just comes from how I view diabetes in my life.  The
thought of hating diabetes, frankly, is foreign to me.  Occasionally I do
hate the results, like the lows one after another for the first two months
of my daughter's life, in spite of repetitive reductions in rates and
ratios.  But it doesn't occur to me to hate it because it has become
routine, and I literally forget that everybody else doesn't deal with this
as a part of life.  It is my "normal."

We're all different.  And that's why some of us hate diabetes, and others of
us don't even think about hating it.  It just *is.*

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990