[IP] Re: Ketsosis vs. ketoacidosis

>>i glad you posted that, cause i was quite interested in the difference...
BUT, i though i might have heard something about the "atkins" thing,
putting a strain, on the kidneys, which, for the most part, i THINK we dont
need..
Can you , or someone else, address that ??<<

Len,

There is no scientific evidence that low carb diets damage kidneys.
Actually, a high fat, high carb diet is much worse.  There are
studies to prove this.  High fat + high carbs leads to high
cholesterol which negatively impacts many organs, including the
kidneys.  However, there are no studies to prove low-carb diets
adversely affect healthy kidney function.  The confusion comes from
the ketosis in low-carb dieting.  Ketosis is a normal metabolic
state.  For ketoacidosis, you have to have elevated blood sugars
and/or lack of insulin.  Ketosis, in and by itself, in low-carb
dieting, doesn't lead to ketoacidosis.

Here's a web page that explains it better than I can:

http://www.wilstar.net/lowcarb/kidneys.htm

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99