Re: [IP] Routine maintenance on Insulin Pumps

There are a lot of opinions on this list about which pump is best.

Here's the only thing I could find from Medtronic MiniMed makers of the
I have a MM508 and I clean the lead screw each time I change the infusion
site. I use a little brush that came with the pump and also I use that dust
spray that they make for cleaning out keyboards. The pump usually gets fuzz
from my clothing in it.

Does the pump require any special care or maintenance?
The Medtronic MiniMed pump is designed to be durable and maintenance free.
An alarm will sound approximately every eight weeks to alert you that the
batteries need to be changed. Medtronic MiniMed pumps require three 1.5V
silver oxide Eveready batteries which are available in drug stores
worldwide. The lead screw must be kept free from dust and debris, so it
should be brushed off periodically. Most people keep the pump in a
specially designed case to minimize cosmetic damage caused by bumps,
perspiration, dirt and grime. To clean the pump, it should be washed with a
damp cloth and mild soap. No other regular maintenance of the pump is
required. There are no parts which need to be replaced and no required
check-ups or inspections. The pump has multiple built-in safety systems to
ensure that you are alerted to a problem should one occur.
Some companies are better than others in providing you with a loaner. In
fact within each company, it seems to matter who answers the phone.. some
reps will give you one, others will say no.
European companies like Disetronic, I think, are required to give you a
backup pump.
The lead screw is what I believe is determining the amount of insulin. As
long as the threads aren't striped, I would think it would stay calibrated.
I'll leave it to someone else on the list who knows more about the mechanics.
Somewhere on my server I have some photos of my pump. I'll try to find
them. They show the lead screw.
How long you have to wait for your pump is usually a function of your
insurance company. One all the paper work is complete, it's usually just
the shipping time.