[IP] Ketsosis vs. ketoacidosis

>> >>Sherry wrote:

My doctor's office strongly recommends that Type 1's avoid this diet like
the plague.  Their main reason is that DKA needs three components to happen
(1) ketones, (2) dehydration, and (3)high blood sugar.  With Atkins you
loose weight by having ketones, so you are now more vulnerable to DKA
because you only need two of the components for DKA to happen.  BTW, the
office does not recommend the diet for Type 2's either.<<

Hi Sherry,

Ketosis is NOT ketoacidosis.  Ketosis is a metabolic state where,
without incoming carbs, and without consuming too many grams of
dietary fat or protein, our bodies will be burning stored body fat as
fuel. Positive side effects of being in ketosis are that it can be
protein sparing (allowing us to retain lean body mass) and that it
can lead to a decrease in appetite.  There are two types of
ketoacidosis: diabetic ketoacidosis (which is due to simultaneous
rise in blood glucose and blood acidity) and alcoholic ketoacidosis
(which is due to heavy alcohol consumption without food intake). If
you do not fall into either of these groups, your body should have
the feedback loops that will keep ketone production in check. Ketones
are produced daily by most people to some degree and are a part of
the body's system of survival.

The medical community is coming around with more and more doctors
supporting Dr. Atkins and his low-carb diet.  There have been recent
independent studies done that support Atkins' claims.  I've posted
some web page addresses below to read a sampling of some studies.

The doubters in the medical community are now questioning the
long-term effects of low-carb dieting since they can't argue with
short term. Dr. Atkins has been using this diet himself and has
treated thousands of patients since the 1970's.  I think the long
term is obvious but now there are independent studies being done to
follow patients for long-term outcomes.

My doctor's office supports Dr. Atkins' diet.  He has seen many of
his patients lose weight, lower their blood pressure, lower their
total cholesterol (increase the good HDL and lower the bad LDL),
lower their triglycerides.  Some Type 2 diabetics have been able to
get off meds.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99