pumping since 08-00

>>>>>>>>>Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:12:50 -0400
From: "Evans, Nilene R." <email @ redacted>

I joined the list in December seeking a way to help my son Benjamin (now
15) handle his overwhelming anxiety and stress about changing his site.
He will have had diabetes for five years this May 30th (we parents never
forget dates) and has been pumping for three years.  For most of those
three years, he has had that stress, so much so that since >Labor Day
2002 my husband or I had been changing his site for him.  It got so
awful he abandoned the pump in late February for Lantus and humalog
pens.  Lantus doesn't work for a teen who needs more insulin in the
middle of the night.  His bs were awful and he was unhappy with the MDI
life.  We tried therapy on and off for those three years but, as a teen
(and his father's child), he was not particularly receptive.

But GOOD NEWS!  We are very involved with the ADA and I was helping set
up for the NJ ADA's Diabetes Expo.  I became friendly with the
Disetronic rep - Christine O'Rourke.  She's a ball of fire, very
pregnant and I am extraordinarily grateful to her.  Benj uses a MM 508
with a soft serter.  He couldn't push the button. She suggested he try
the Disetronic infusion set - no inserter, you just push it in and it
works with the 508.  Last week, Christine came to our home to explain
the Disetronic infusion set and where on his butt to place it - he's
also phobic now about putting it in his abdomen. It was a breeze.  He
says it's just like using a needle.  If we'd only known, we'd have saved
quite a lot on therapy bills and enormous emotional wear and tear.  So,
thank you Christine (it was bashert - Yiddish for "meant to be" - that
we met) and we should all realize that sometimes the answer to our
problems come from unexpected places.>>>>>>>>>>